Sunday, February 24, 2008

John Cassevetes: Round 2

Our second installment of the AFII John Cassevetes movie extravaganza, "The killing of a chinese bookie" at times made me feel like i was missing something about the plot or particularly the main character,the proud owner of Crazy Horse West strip club, and the intentions the director had with him.

Although i was, for the most part, clear on and certainly intrigued by the characters and their roles in the development of the plot, I still felt like their was a broader understanding of what it all meant that i hadnt picked up on. I even began to feel a little discouraged about my movie watching capabities. After the movie I thought it over and decided that i wasn't missing anything, but instead, i am so used to having a clear good/bad impression of everything that happens in a given film spoon fed, that a lack of a kind of unanimous guiding conscience made the entire film seem foreign. I think Cassevetes was careful to let the audience develope their own opinion of events that take place in the film, which i thought made it more fun to watch and definitely unique. I even drew some parallels between that force at work in this movie and in the previous installment of AFII JCMExtavaganza, "Faces" (Blog coming soon!!!!) that may be the first signs of a strong Cassevetes auteur style.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I definitely agree on the whole "completely following the plot thing". I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the first half, but I still didn't really understand what was going on... then my mind started to wander elsewhere because of my confusion.